POTSDAM, N.Y. – The Keuka College Women's Volleyball lost a pair of matches on Saturday as they closed out the North Country Invitational, hosted by Clarkson University and SUNY Potsdam.
The Wolves lost the opener to St. Lawrence University 3-0 in the opener and fell to SUNY Canton 3-1 in their second match of the day.
Keuka College (1-7, 0-0 NEAC) was led by Lauren Moelbert with 16 kills on the day. Junior Alyssa Rex had 40 assists for Keuka. Katelyn Warren had a strong service day for the Wolves, totaling 5 aces on the day.
St. Lawrence University 3 (25, 25, 27) vs. Keuka College 0 (18, 14, 25)
Keuka College had a strong opening set against the Saints with 20 kills and a .188 hitting percentage. However, St. Lawrence had just as strong of an opener with 16 kills as they won the first set against Keuka 25-18. The Saints forced Keuka errors in the second set as they won it 25-14, taking a 2-0 lead in the match. St. Lawrence completed the sweep in the third set, despite the Wolves forcing extra points. Keuka had 12 kills in the frame, but lost third set 27-25 and the match 3-0.
SUNY Canton 3 (25, 27, 23, 25) vs. Keuka College 1 (23, 25, 25, 23)
In a very tight first set, SUNY Canton was able to pull it out with a two-point victory. Despite 10 kills from the Wolves, Canton took the set 25-23. In the second set, extra points were required, but the Roos pulled it out 27-25, taking the 2-0 lead. The Wolves would extend the match in the third set, winning the frame 25-23, but SUNY Canton closed it out in the fourth by the same score, winning the match 3-1.
Lead Wolf: Junior Emily Cottrell led the defensive effort for Keuka. She had a team-high 15 digs in the loss.
- Saturday was the first time that St. Lawrence and Keuka College have met since the 2003 season. With the win, the Saints took control of the all-time series 6-5.
- SUNY Canton has won all three meetings against Keuka College
- The Wolves played their cleanest match of the season against SUNY Canton with a season-low 17 errors and a season-best .147 hitting percentage
- Keuka had a season-high six blocks against the Roos
- With her 14 assists against St. Lawrence, Alyssa Rex surpassed 100 assists for the season
- Jadine Buddingh was named to the All-Tournament team of the North Country Invitational
Coming up for Keuka College: The North Eastern Athletic Conference schedule is next for the Wolves. Keuka will travel to Wells College on Wednesday and then host SUNY Cobleskill on Saturday.