KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Women's Soccer team won the 2018 North Eastern Athletic Conference Regular Season title as they defeated Cazenovia College 2-1 on a rainy Saturday afternoon at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex.
Keuka College (12-3-1, 10-0-1) finished in a tie with Penn St.-Berks in the standings, but the Wolves clinched the title due to goals allowed in conference play this season. Junior Emily McGuigan scored both goals for the Wolves on Saturday.
Keuka College 2 vs. Cazenovia College 1
After a slow start to the game where both teams battled for possession, the Wolves got the first good attempt on goal midway through the half. Danielle DeSimone got in behind the Wildcat defense on the right side and crossed it to Emily McGuigan. She hit a sliding shot on frame, but it was saved by the Cazenovia keeper. The Wolves would test the Wildcat back line in the half but the game would go to halftime scoreless.
Keuka College would pull ahead in the 55th minute. Emily Brown sent a long ball from 35 yards out into the box. She connected with Emily McGuigan in the box and the junior volleyed the ball into the goal for the 1-0 lead. That lead would only last four minutes as Cazenovia would level the game in a similar fashion off of a free kick. The Wolves had an answer and pulled ahead in the 75th minute. Grace Wolf to the ball at the top of the box and laid it off on the right wing to Emily McGuigan. McGuigan let a shot go and it went over the keeper and inside the far post for the 2-1 lead. Keuka College would hold on for the conference victory over the Wildcats.
Emily McGuigan put the Wolves ahead late with a goal
- Keuka College won their first regular season title in Women's Soccer since the 2008 season and sixth overall
- The Wolves improved to 24-1-2 all-time against Cazenovia.
- Keuka remains unbeaten, 14-0-1, in home games against Cazenovia
- Emily McGuigan's two goals now gives her 18 on the season. McGuigan moves into second on the Keuka College goals list with 52 in her career
- Jessica Pegg made five saves in goal for the win. It was her 12th win of the season tying for the most in program history.
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves have earned the right to host the 2018 North Eastern Athletic Conference Tournament next weekend. Keuka College's opponent is still to be determined.