Keuka College Rallies for 2-2 Draw

Photo by Ed Webber
Photo by Ed Webber

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — SUNY Poly built a 2-0 halftime lead on a pair of penalty kicks, but the Keuka College Women's Soccer team rallied in the second have for a 2-2 draw on Sunday.  

Sarah Hartman found the back of the net in the 50th minute to get Keuka (8-5-2, 7-2-1 NEAC) on the board. She later set up Hannah Dalle with just under three minutes left in regulation for the game-tying goal. Maeve Fletcher made a career-high 12 saves in goal for Keuka as they were outshot by SUNY Poly (7-5-3, 5-1-2 NEAC) 32-16.

Keuka College will step out of North Eastern Athletic Conference play this Wednesday when they host University of Rochester under the lights at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex. Kickoff with the Yellowjackets is set for 7pm.

SUNY Poly came out amidst snow showers and pressed early. An inadvertent handball in the box by Keuka gave the Wildcats in the 7th minute. They converted for the early 1-0 lead over Keuka. The Green and Gold would control possession, but the Wildcats got another tally against the run of play. It was again from the penalty spot and SUNY Poly went into halftime with a 2-0 advantage.

Keuka shifted formations at halftime as Head Coach Steve Christenson moved defender Sarah Hartman up to striker. Hartman beat her defender down the left side of the field and chipped the ball over the keeper. The ball found the right side of the net to narrow the margin to 2-1 in the 50th minute. The Green and Gold nearly leveled the game 10 minutes later. Hartman sent a through ball from midfield that split the Wildcat defenders and found Hannah Dalle. Poly would recover, however, to block the senior's shot. Poly controlled the ball and limited Keuka's chances to counterattack opportunities. With three minutes left to play, Hartman once again found Dalle behind SUNY Poly's defense. This time the shot was not blocked. Dalle scored to the far post to equalize the game at 2-2 and force overtime.

The first overtime period was primarily played in the middle third. Keuka's best chance to score with three minutes left. Hannah Dalle sent a crossing ball across the net and just missed Danielle Desimone on the back post.

Both teams were able to get looks at goal in the second period as well, but again, it was Keuka having the best chance to end the game. They broke down on goal in the final 20 seconds of play. Keuka's goalie came off her line, going for the ball and Keuka's shot got past her, but slid just to the right of the net and time expired with the game ending in a 2-2 tie.