Hartwick Tops Keuka College in Women’s Soccer

Photo Courtesy of Ed Webber
Photo Courtesy of Ed Webber

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. -- The Keuka College Women's Soccer team fell to the Hartwick College Hawks by the score of 2-1 on Wednesday night at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex on campus of Keuka College.

Nicole Browe scored her second goal of the season for Keuka. Carly Sanford set her up with the assist. Kenna Kosinski made 10 saves in net for Keuka, who were outshot by Hartwick (6-0) 19-2.

Keuka College (1-3-1) will open North Eastern Athletic Conference play this weekend in Pennsylvania. The Wolfpack will face Lancaster Bible College on Saturday. Keuka will then square off the defending NEAC Champions, Penn St.-Berks, on Sunday.

Hartwick controlled possession during the first half, but the Wolfpack still had their chances. Keuka took advantage of the counterattack and quality through balls to pressure the Hawks net. Keuka scored the opening goal of the match in the 21st minute. Carly Sanford took the ball down the left side of the field and found Nicole Browe in the box. Browe beat her defender and put her shot over the goalie's head and into the back of the net for the 1-0 advantage. Hartwick continued their pressure, however. In the 24th minute, they let a shot ring off the goal post. Rachel Weir collected the ball for Hartwick and dribbled towards the penalty spot. Her shot got past Kosinski and into the net to tie the game at 1-1. The Hawks continued the pressure, but Keuka did not bend, and the two teams went into halftime with the game tied 1-1.

The Hawks continued to control the ball in the second half. They had a quality opportunity early on in the half, but Kosinski made a diving save to keep the game tied. Hartwick continued possession and broke the tie in the 73rd minute. They took the ball to the end line on the left side of the box. Hartwick deflected the cross in for the 2-1 lead.  The Wolfpack increased the pressure in the final ten minutes. Keuka had opportunities but their free kicks and through balls were just slightly too long. They were controlled by the Hawks defense and keeper as Hartwick held on to the 2-1 victory over Keuka.