KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Women's Lacrosse team overcame a four-goal second half deficit to defeat Morrisville State 11-9 in a North Eastern Athletic Conference game on Sunday.
Kendall Neuberger led Keuka College (9-0, 5-0 NEAC) with five goals in the game. Vanessa Tsarevich added three free-position goals for the Wolves. Ally Thayer made 12 saves in goal for Keuka College to earn the victory.
Keuka College 11 vs. Morrisville State 9
The Wolves took a quick lead over the Mustangs on Sunday. Keuka College scored in the opening minute as Brooke Main found Brenna Voigt for the goal. Minutes later, Vanessa Tsarevich scored for the 2-0 lead. Morrisville State responded with five goals in five minutes. The run was ended by Kendall Neuberger with a goal halfway through the first. Both teams would score a pair of goals in the final 10 minutes as Morrisville State took a 7-5 lead into halftime.
The Mustangs pushed their lead to four goals, adding a pair of tallies in the first five minutes of the second half. Keuka College began their comeback. Vanessa Tsarevich scored a pair of free-position goals less than a minute apart to cut the margin to two-goals. Kendall Neuberger then did the same feat to tie the game at 9-9 with 16:56 left in the second half. Morrisville State looked to take the lead with six minutes left in the game, but the goal was disallowed due to a crease violation. Keuka College took possession of the ball and worked it down the field. Vera Freda found the back of the net to give Keuka a 10-9 lead. The Wolves thought their lead was doubled, but they too had a goal called back, this time due to an illegal stick. That would not deter the Wolves. Vera Freda capped the scoring with a free-position goal to make it 11-9. The Green and Gold controlled the ball for the final 2:37 as they ran the clock out on an 11-9 North Eastern Athletic Conference victory.
- It was Keuka College's first victory over Morrisville State since the 2015 season, snapping a three-game losing streak to the Mustangs
- Keuka College is now 8-9 all-time against Morrisville State
- The Wolves tied the school-record with their 9-0 start. Keuka College remains one of four teams nation-wide to be without a loss this season
- Keuka College outscored Morrisville State 6-0 over the final 25 minutes of the game
- Vanessa Tsarevich broke the Keuka College single-season record with 15 free-position goals this season
- Kendall Neuberger moved to seventh on the career scoring list, passing Olivia Hudson '15 with 99 career goals
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves remain on their home stand this Wednesday, hosting Wells College in a conference game. Keuka College will face the Express at 7pm on April 18 at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex. The Wolves are 1-1 all-time against Wells, defeating the Express 13-12 in overtime last season.