KEUKA PARK, N.Y. – The Keuka College Women's Lacrosse team opened the 2017 season on Tuesday with a 17-4 loss to Hartwick College at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex.
Keuka College (0-1) got two goals from freshmen Vera Freda. Kendall Neuberger and Abigail Wood each added a goal. Morgan Bruno added a pair of assists in the loss. Sophomore goalie Ally Thayer made a career-high 19 saves for the Wolves.
Keuka College 4 vs. Hartwick College 17
Vera Freda scored the opening goal of the season for Wolves in first minute of play, but Hartwick College responded in a big way. The Hawks scored eight unanswered in the first half. Freda netted her second tally, but Hartwick led 9-2 at the half. The second half featured more offense from Hartwick as they netted eight goals in the period. Keuka got on the board twice with goals from Neuberger and Wood, but it was not enough as they fell to Hartwick 17-14.
Wolf Pups: A pair of freshmen netted their first career goals in their first start. Vera Freda led the way for Keuka with a pair of goals. Abigail Wood had a solid all-around game for Keuka, scoring a goal, collecting four groundballs, and causing three turnovers.
- Today's loss leveled the all-time series with Hartwick at 3-3. The Hawks have won the last two meetings
- All three times Hartwick College has travelled to Keuka Park, it has been the home opener for the Wolves
- The Wolves are now 7-6 all-time in home openers
- March 21 is the latest season opener for Keuka College Women's Lacrosse since the 2007 season
- Thayer's 19 saves was the second most ever in a game by a Keuka College goalie
Coming up for Keuka College: Keuka College will be on the road this weekend to take on Mount Saint Mary College on Saturday afternoon. It will be the first meeting ever between the Wolves and the Knights.