Forshay Scores with 34 Seconds Left to Lift Keuka College

Photo by Ed Webber
Photo by Ed Webber

ABINGTON, Pa. – Senior Sydney Forshay scored the go-ahead goal in the final minute of the game to like Keuka College to a 12-11 victory over hosts Penn St.-Abington in women's lacrosse on Sunday.

Keuka College (5-9, 3-5 NEAC) will return home for the final game on the season next Saturday as they host Wells College at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex.

Forshay led Keuka with six goals on the afternoon. For the second consecutive game, Morgan Bruno had five assists for the Green and Gold. She also added a goal. Elizabeth Sherman scored her first career hat trick against the Nittany Lions. Also scoring for Keuka was Vanessa Tsarevich and Samantha Stanio.

Keuka College won the opening draw and started into their offense from the beginning. Morgan Bruno scored the first goal of the game 1:27 in for the early 1-0 lead. The lead quickly grew to 3-0 thanks to a pair of goals by Sydney Forshay. Abington got on the board with 12 minutes left in the half. After another Nittany Lion goal, Forshay completed the hat trick for the 4-2 lead. Penn St.-Abington had an answer with 50 seconds left to make the Keuka lead at the half just one goal, 4-3.

In the opening five minutes of the second half, Penn St.-Abington tied the game at 5-5. The game would remain tied for 32 seconds however as Keuka won the ensuing draw and Elizabeth Sherman scored, making it 6-5. The Green and Gold's lead grew to three goals, 9-6, following a goal by Samantha Staino.

Trailing by two goals with less than 10 minutes remaining, the Nittany Lions started a comeback. They would tied the game at 10-10 and then take an 11-10 lead over Keuka with four minutes left in the game. Sydney Forshay scored with 1:49 left to draw the game level at 11-11. Abington took possession after the draw, but goalie Alyna Thayer made a save off of a free position shot to keep the game tied. Keuka took the ball down the field and Morgan Bruno found Forshay for a goal with 34 seconds left to give the Green and Gold the 12-11 victory.