ABINGTON, Pa. — The Keuka College Women's Basketball team defeated Penn St.-Abington 66-55 on Saturday in Pennsylvania in a North Eastern Athletic Conference matchup.
Keuka College (10-2, 5-1 NEAC) was led in scoring by Lauren Anten. The junior had a game-high 22 points. Joining her in double-digits was fellow junior Reighly Melochick and sophomore Sam Laranjo. Melochick had 15 points in the game and Laranjo added 10 to go with her game-high seven assists.
Keuka College 66 at Penn St.-Abington 55
Keuka College and Penn St.-Abington played a very even first quarter on Saturday. Overall, the Wolves were 37% from the floor and the Nittany Lions were 36%. Both teams had a pair of offensive rebounds and 10 total in the frame. The Wolves took the lead late in the quarter on a layup by Niki Templeton 13-12. The Green and Gold added a basket in the final minute and led 15-12 after the first quarter.
Much like the first, the second quarter was played very evenly, but Keuka College would never give up the lead. Keuka held Abington without a field goal for the final five minutes of the second quarter as Keuka College led 25-21 at the half.
The Green and Gold created separation in the third quarter. In just over a minute's span, Lauren Anten made a pair of baskets and that was followed by a three and a layup by Reighly Melochick as the Wolves scored nine unanswered to make it 42-31. The lead would get to as many as 13 points. Keuka led 45-37 going into the final 10 quarter.
A three-pointer by Abington opened the fourth to make it 45-40, but the five-point margin would be as close as the Nittany Lions would make it. Keuka College shot 53% from the floor went 2-2 from three-point range in the quarter to preserve the 66-55 North Eastern Athletic Conference victory.
- The Wolves improve to 9-2 all-time against the Nittany Lions and have won two in a row against Penn St.-Abington
- For the first time this season, Keuka College surpassed the 50 rebound plateau. The Green and Gold grabbed 51 on Saturday
- Lauren Anten surpassed 700 points for her career. The junior has 708 in her career
- It was the second time this season that Anten has scored 20 or more points
- Niki Templeton had her best game of the season on Saturday. The sophomore had nine points and eight rebounds for the Wolves, both season-highs
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves will take on Lancaster Bible College on Sunday. The Chargers currently sit in first place in the South Division of the North Eastern Athletic Conference with a 6-0 conference record this season.