KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Women's Basketball team defeated Alfred State 75-37 at the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center on Tuesday night.
Keuka College 75 vs. Alfred State 37
Both teams struggled in the opening quarter, combining for 17 turnovers in the frame. That was in part to good defense by the Wolves. Keuka College forced 12 Pioneer turnovers in the first on seven steals. Keuka College held Alfred State to just 1-6 from the floor as the Wolves led 16-6 after the first quarter.
Keuka College had their worst shooting quarter of the game, going 4-20 from the field. Alfred State was unable to take advantage, however. Both teams did not tally a point in the final three minutes of the quarter as Keuka College took a 26-15 lead into halftime.
Coming out of the break, Keuka College got its offense firing. The Green and Gold matched their point total from the first half in the third quarter alone. A 16-0 run midway through the third put the game away as Keuka College led 52-23 going to the fourth.
The Green and Gold closed in out in the fourth, shooting 63.6% from the floor in the quarter and going 3-4 from long range. The Wolves would go on to defeat the Pioneers by the score of 75-37.
- Keuka College has now won two in a row against Alfred State. The Wolves hold a 7-3 record all-time with the Pioneers, dating back to the 1974-75 season
- For the first time since the 2010-11 season, Keuka College opens the campaign with a 4-0 record. The Green and Gold won their first six games in 2010, a season that ended with a North Eastern Athletic Conference Championship and a trip to the NCAA Tournament.
- Amanda Wood set a new career-high with 10 rebounds
- Sam Laranjo has 31 assists to start the season. She leads the NEAC with 7.8 assists per game and a 5.2 assist to turnover ratio
- The 37 points allowed by Keuka College is the fewest in a game since the Wolves allowed 33 in a victory over Wells College in January 2017
- The Wolves held a 53-25 advantage in rebounds
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves will next take to the floor on Wednesday, November 29 in a North Eastern Athletic Conference game. Keuka College will host Penn College at the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center at 8pm. The Wolves defeated the Wildcats on David M. Sweet Court last season with Lauren Anten, Abby Hess, and Sam Laranjo all scoring in double figures for Keuka.