PITTSFORD, N.Y. — The Keuka College Women's Basketball team defeated Nazareth College in the Heritage Christian Services Classic 61-51 on Saturday afternoon at Nazareth.
Reighly Melochick led Keuka College (2-0) with 19 points in the win. Melochick also grabbed a team-high seven rebounds. Lauren Anten was also in double-figures with 11 points and Sam Laranjo finished with a career-high 10 assists.
Keuka College 61 at Nazareth College 51
The Wolves scored the first four points of the game but the Golden Flyers came back and scored the next seven points before a three by Lauren Anten tied the game up at 7-7. The Wolves would pull ahead at the end of the quarter and led 13-12 after 10 minutes.
In the second quarter, Keuka College built a seven-point lead. A steal by Sam Laranjo started a fast break and she found Reighly Melochick in the corner for a three, giving Keuka a 22-15 lead. However, Nazareth responded and scored seven of the last nine points in the half as the two teams went into halftime with the game tied at 24-24.
The Wolves offense erupted in the third quarter. After scoring 24 points in the first two quarters, the Green and Gold netted 22 points in the frame. The Wolves allowed just 13 in the quarter and led 46-37 after three quarters of play.
A three pointer by Reighly Melochick a minute and a half into the fourth gave the Wolves a 10-point lead at 49-39. The Golden Flyers fought to stay in the game, however a Lauren Anten second chance layup with 2:15 left to play gave Keuka a 55-47 lead. After a defensive stop, Reighly Melochick made her fourth three-pointer of the game to give the Wolves a 58-47 lead. The Green and Gold went on to defeat Nazareth College 61-51 on Saturday.
- The series between Keuka College and Nazareth College date back to the 1974-75 season. With the win, Keuka College is now 9-17 all-time against the Golden Flyers.
- The win snaps a two-game losing streak to Nazareth. It was the first win for Keuka against Nazareth since the 2005-06 season
- Reighly Melochick was named Game MVP for the Heritage Christian Services Classic
- Sam Laranjo was the first player for Keuka College to have 10 assists in a game since Courtney Lincoln had 12 assists against D'Youville in 2009
- The Wolves hit 52.6% of their three pointers going 10 of 19. The Green and Gold held Nazareth to 15% shooting from deep, making only three three-pointers in 20 attempts
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves have a quick turnaround. Keuka College will host Medaille College on Sunday at 3pm at the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center. The Wolves last faced the Mavericks in the 2008-09 season.