Keuka College Falls in Final Minutes to Bryn Athyn

Photo by Ed Webber
Photo by Ed Webber

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. – The Keuka College Women's Basketball team was defeated by Bryn Athyn College 52-49 on Sunday afternoon at the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center.

Keuka College (2-10, 1-6 NEAC) will travel to Lancaster Bible College on Friday and then face Penn St.-Berks on Saturday.

Lauren Anten had a team-high 11 points for Keuka. Abby Hess added nine points and seven rebounds off the bench. Courtney Boyea had a pair of threes and totaled eight points on the afternoon.

Bryn Athyn (8-5, 6-2 NEAC) was paced by Kristina Clark who scored 42 of the Lions 52 points.

The Green and Gold came out and established an early lead over the Lions. Keuka grew their lead out to five points, 12-7 following an Abby Hess layup with 2:47 left in the first. Bryn Athyn closed on a 7-0 run, however, to take a 14-12 lead after 10 minutes of play.

The run by the Lions continued for the first 7:31 of the second quarter. In total, it was a 20-0 run by Bryn Athyn that gave them a 27-12 lead. Courtney Boyea snapped the 10 minute dry spell with a three pointer. She added a pair of free throws and another three pointer as she closed the half with a personal 8-0 run to make the score 27-20 Bryn Athyn at halftime.

Keuka College came out firing in the third quarter. They scored the first 10 points of the quarter to take a 30-27 lead. Bryn Athyn made three free throws in the quarter, but Keuka College would not allow a field goal as they outscored the Lions 14-3 and led 34-30 following three quarters of play.

Only one basket would be made in the opening four minutes of the fourth quarter, and that was by Bryn Athyn to make it 34-32. Keuka maintained the advantage for most of the quarter. A three pointer by Lauren Anten with 2:56 left to play gave Keuka a six-point lead, 43-37. Bryn Athyn would work it back to a four-point game with under two minutes left. There, Kristina Clark made a three and was fouled in the process. Following the successful free throw, the game was tied 45-45 with 1:42 left to play. Sarah Janson gave Keuka the lead back with a pair of free throws, but the Lions answered with a layup. Bryn Athyn took a 49-47 lead following a pair of free throws, but Mackenzie Cole had the answer with a jumper, tying the game at 49-49. With 12 seconds left, Clark drove to the basket and was fouled for Bryn Athyn. The free throw gave the Lions a 52-49 lead. Keuka would miss their final attempt and fall to Bryn Athyn by that score.