UTICA, N.Y. — The Keuka College Softball team defeated SUNY Poly 5-1 in the first round of the North Eastern Athletic Conference Tournament.
Keuka College (14-19) advances to the NEAC Final Four to be played this weekend at Penn St.-Berks.
The Wolves were led by starting pitcher Whitney Tyler. The sophomore allowed just three hits and struck out six. She also drove in two runs at the plate. Jessie Hammers had two hits for Keuka and Jordan Cole hit her second home run of the season.
Keuka College 5 at SUNY Poly 1 – NEAC First Round
After four scoreless innings to start the game, the Wolves took the lead in the fifth. Danielle Bosch led the inning off with a single. She moved to second on a bunt and went to third on a single by Jessie Hammers. Hammers stole second and both her and Bosch scored on a Whitney Tyler single to right, giving the Wolves a 2-0 lead. After a walk and with two outs, Jordan Cole drove a pitch over the left centerfield fence for a three-run home run and a 5-0 Keuka College lead.
SUNY Poly broke up Whitney Tyler's perfect game in the bottom of the six and the Wildcats plated a run. However, that would be all Poly would get as Tyler shut the door as the Wolves defeated the Wildcats 5-1.
- Keuka College improved to 41-7 all-time against SUNY Poly. The Wolves have won 12 straight
- Keuka College won their 13th straight First Round game in the North Eastern Athletic Conference Tournament
- Whitney Tyler threw her 17th complete game of the season, third most in program history. She also moves into fourth for innings pitched in a season.
- Tyler had six strikeouts in the game. The sophomore now as 81 this season, jumping four previous season performances for seventh on the single season list
- The Wolves improve to 6-0 in postseason games played on April 30
Up Next for Keuka College: Keuka College now advances onto the final four of the 2019 North Eastern Athletic Conference Tournament. The double-elimination tournament will begin on Friday and hosted by Penn St.-Berks in Reading, Pa.