COBLESKILL, N.Y. — The Keuka College Softball team swept a North Eastern Athletic Conference doubleheader on Tuesday at SUNY Cobleskill.
Keuka College (13-7, 10-2 NEAC) won game one 6-2 against the Fighting Tigers. The Wolves then took the nightcap by the score of 6-3.
Keuka College 6 at SUNY Cobleskill 2
Jessie Hammers singled to lead off the game. She would score on a wild pitch for the early advantage. SUNY Cobleskill responded in the bottom of the frame with a pair of unearned runs to take at 2-1 lead.
The Wolves regained the lead in the second, scoring a pair of runs without an RBI. Keuka College brought the runners home on a dropped third strike and a fielding error to lead 3-2. The Green and Gold added to the lead on an RBI groundout by Mickenzie Palmer in the fourth. A second run came home on the play via an error. The Wolves finished their scoring in the sixth, taking advantage of another Cobleskill error as the Wolves won game one of the doubleheader 6-2.
Lead Wolf: Suzanne Welch went a perfect 3-3 at the plate for the Wolves. The three hits were a career-high for the senior. She scored a pair of runs in the game.
Keuka College 6 at SUNY Cobleskill 3
SUNY Cobleskill struck first with a two-run single in the second inning for the lead. The game would continue to the fourth inning before the Wolves were able to get on the board. Hayley Gorges worked a bases loaded walk to score a run for the Wolves.
Keuka College went ahead in the fifth inning as Janessa Vaadi hit a two-run triple to take the lead. SUNY Cobleskill responded with a solo home run to tie the game at 3-3. In the sixth inning, Jessie Hammers hit a three-run home run for Keuka College to give the Wolves a 6-3 lead.
That would be enough for starting pitcher Whitney Tyler. The freshman struck out a career-high seven batters in earning her sixth win of the season.
Lead Wolf: Jessie Hammers paced the offense for the Wolves. Her sixth inning home run was the first of her season and second of her career. Hammers also stole a pair of bags following her leadoff single in the first inning.
- Keuka College improves to 26-7 all-time against SUNY Cobleskill
- The Wolves have won the last 12 meetings
- Colleen Mooney struck out a season-high six batters in earning the win in game one for Keuka
- Brittany Vergason had a pair of sacrifice bunts in game one. That gave the sophomore 12 for her career, setting a new Keuka College record
- Katelyn Warren passed Amanda Witter '08 for fifth on the Keuka College hits list with 120 in her career
- Mickenzie Palmer had her 119th hit of her career, tying Witter on the career list
- Both Vergason and Palmer had nine-game hitting streaks snapped in game one against SUNY Cobleskill. They join a list tied for the 10th longest streak in program history. It was a career-long streak for Vergason
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves will remain on the road on Friday. Keuka College will travel to Cazenovia College on Friday. The Wildcats delivered Keuka their lone regular season loss last season, but the Wolves took the season series 3-1.