MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – The Keuka College Softball team clinched the top spot in the North Eastern Athletic Conference's North Division with a sweep at Morrisville State College on Saturday.
Keuka College (23-9, 21-1 NEAC) took the opener 14-2 in five innings and won the nightcap 9-0.
Katelyn Warren finished with five hits, including two doubles, and four runs scored on the day. Alysha Bachman and Jessie Hammers each added four hits on the day for the Green and Gold. Hammers added to her team lead with a combined six stolen bases for Keuka College.
Colleen Mooney and Janessa Vaadi earned the wins for the Wolves. Mooney allowed only one hit and struck out five in three innings of work. In Game 2, Janessa Vaadi threw a three-hit complete-game shutout with a career-high 10 strikeouts.
Keuka College 14 at Morrisville State 2 – 5 innings
The Wolves struck early and often on Saturday against the Mustangs. Keuka College plated three runs in each of the first three innings to take an early control on the game. The big hit of the run came in the third for Keuka College as Tally McDonald scored two on a triple to left centerfield. McDonald later scored on a bunt single by Jessie Hammers to make it 9-0. Keuka added to their lead with four more runs in the fourth. The Wolves got RBI singles by Bachman, Maddie Dupuis, and a two-run single by Megan Wilbur, making it 13-0. Keuka College continued to the 14-2 victory in five innings.
Lead Wolf: Jessie Hammers continues to lead Keuka College from the top of the lineup. In Game 1, the freshman was on base all three times with two hits and a walk. When on base, Hammers is always a threat to run. She set a new career-high with four stolen bases in the game for Keuka.
Keuka College 9 at Morrisville State 0
Keuka College picked up where they left off in Game 2 against Morrisville State. The Wolves plated three in the first inning for the early lead. They added to the lead in the third on an RBI single by Alexa Brown. Keuka tacked on two runs in the fifth and three in the seventh. The big hit in the seventh innings was a two-run double by Mickenzie Palmer. The lead was more than enough for Janessa Vaadi who went the distance in the circle for the Wolves as Keuka College won the second game 9-0, completing the sweep over Morrisville State.
Lead Wolf: The story of Game 2 was the pitching of Janessa Vaadi. The sophomore allowed just three hits in her seven innings of work, earning the complete game shutout. She struck out a career-high 10 batters in the victory.
- Keuka College improves to 21-1 in the North Eastern Athletic Conference, clinching the top seed in the North Division
- The 21 conference victories sets a new program record for most in a season
- Keuka College completed the season sweep of Morrisville State. The Wolves are now 26-3 all-time against the Mustangs
- Jessie Hammers now has 40 hits on the season, moving into a tie for fifth most in a single season in program history
- Hammers also has 26 stolen bases this season, ranking as the third most in Keuka College history
- Colleen Mooney tied Allison Richter for second most wins in a season
- Mooney also passed Jen Shaughnessy, Kate Kraus, and Liz Warren for the third most strikeouts in a season with 88
Coming up for Keuka College: The Wolves conclude their regular season conference schedule on Sunday with a pair of games at Cazenovia College. The Wildcats are the only NEAC team to defeat Keuka College this season. First pitch is scheduled for 1pm.