KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Volleyball team concluded the Keuka College Invitational with a perfect 5-0 record following a pair of wins on Sunday.
Keuka College (9-4) swept both matches on Sunday, defeating both John Jay College and Pratt Institute in straight sets.
Keuka College 3 vs. John Jay College 0 – 25-17, 25-21, 25-20
The Wolves and the Bloodhounds played a tight opening set. Keuka College created separation midway through the frame on the serve of Christian Nickerson. A John Jay service error ended with first with Keuka winning it 25-17.
Keuka College scored the first four points of the second set, but John Jay answered and took a 10-8 lead over Keuka. The Green and Gold had an answer of their own with seven straight points to regain a 16-12 lead. Keuka College played from ahead for the rest of the set. A JP Nery kill gave the Wolves the second set 25-21 and a 2-0 lead in the match.
The Wolves came from behind again in the third set as John Jay scored seven straight early in the third set to take an 8-3 lead. It took time but the Wolves came all the way back as they tied the set at 19-19 following a kill by Kamren Record. The Bloodhounds briefly took the lead back at 20-19, but Keuka College scored the final six points of the match. They swept the match following a 25-20 third set victory.
Lead Wolf: Kamren Record helped facilitate the Keuka College offense against the Bloodhounds. The sophomore had 29 assists in the win and added eight digs for the Wolves.
Keuka College 3 vs. Pratt Institute 0 – 25-10, 25-12, 25-12
After being tied 3-3 early, the wolves scored 12 straight to take the lead. The Wolves continued onto the 25-10 first set victory.
Once again, Pratt took an early an early lead against the Wolves. The Cannoneers were up 4-0 before the Green and Gold converted 11 straight points to take control of the set. After winning the second set 25-12, the Wolves took the third by the same score to sweep the match.
Lead Wolf: Emmett O'Brien led the Keuka College attack with a career-high nine kills on Sunday. In doing so, O'Brien posted a .636 hitting percentage, setting a new school record.
- Keuka College improves to 2-0 all-time against both John Jay College and Pratt Institute
- The Wolves have now won 11 straight matches at their home invitational, posting a 17-2 record all-time in the event
- Seth Welker had 16 digs against John Jay, tied for fourth best in a three-set match in program history. As a team, the Wolves had 49 digs against the Bloodhounds, also tying for fourth in the record books
- Brad McKnight led the Wolves with nine kills against the Bloodhounds. The freshman also set a new career-high with four aces in the match
- JJ Zwicklbauer continued his strong play. The sophomore posted eight kills and five aces against the Cannoneers. Zwicklbauer tied for the third most aces in a three-set match in Keuka College history
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves take to the road this Wednesday with a North Eastern Athletic Conference match at SUNY Poly. This match was rescheduled from February 10. The Wolves will look to snap a seven-match losing streak to the Wildcats.