ELMIRA, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Volleyball team lost both matches on Saturday at the Elmira College Invitational. The Wolves lost the opening match to Thiel College in straight sets before falling to Cairn University in five sets.
Thiel College 3 vs. Keuka College 0 (25-23, 26-24, 25-20)
Keuka College had a strong open to the match with 14 kills in the first set. It came down to the final points but Thiel was able to pull out the opener 25-23. In the second set, Keuka College had their most errors on the day with seven, but was in the set until the end. Extra points were forced but the Wolves fell 26-24 and trailed 2-0 going to the third set. The Tomcats won the third set 25-20 to sweep the match 3-0 on Saturday.
Cairn University 3 vs. Keuka College 2 (26-24, 20-25, 17-25, 29-27, 15-13)
Once again, Keuka College started strong with 11 kills in the first set. However, Cairn was up to the task just as much. The set would go to extra points. The Highlanders pulled it out 26-24 to take the lead in the final match on Saturday. Keuka responded with their best set of the day in the second. Keuka had 14 kills against just three errors as they leveled the match at 1-1 with a 25-20 set victory.
Keuka College would take a 2-1 led in the match as they took advantage of 12 Cairn errors to win the third set 25-17. The Wolves looked to put the match away in the fourth. The set would go to extra points again, but the Highlanders won it 29-27 forcing a fifth and final set. Keuka College had more kills than Cairn in the fifth set, 9-7, but they also had more errors, 7-3. That would be the difference as the Highlanders won the fifth set 15-13, taking the match 3-2.
- Keuka College is winless in three all-time matches against Thiel College
- Saturday was the first ever meeting between Keuka and Cairn
- The Wolves are now 5-10 all-time in five-set matches
- Keuka College had 12 aces against Cairn University, the most ever in a five-set match
- 21 kills by Connor Gail against Cairn was the third most in a five-set match in program history and tied for the fourth most overall
- Chris Corcoran had the second most assists in a five-set match in program history with 48
- Freshman Gavin Record had four aces against Cairn. That is the second most aces in a five-set match in program history
Up Next for Keuka College: Keuka College has a week off before playing in a tri-match at Bard College. The Wolves will open against Wilson College in a non-conference match before facing the host Raptors.