Men’s Soccer Season Ends in Penalty Kicks

Jordan Miller (2) rose for the header in overtime for Keuka College -- Photo by Ed Webber
Jordan Miller (2) rose for the header in overtime for Keuka College -- Photo by Ed Webber

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — For the second straight season, the Keuka College Men's Soccer team lost in penalty kicks in the North Eastern Athletic Conference Quarterfinals to end their season. The Wolves lost 6-5 in penalty kicks to SUNY Cobleskill on Tuesday after playing the Fighting Tigers to a 1-1 draw through extra time.

Keuka College (11-7-1, 8-3 NEAC) got its goal in the second half from Samba Doukhansy. Ryan Mavretish made six saves during the 110 minutes of action.

SUNY Cobleskill 1 at Keuka College 1 – SUNY Cobleskill wins penalty kicks 6-5

SUNY Cobleskill opened on the front foot and took an early lead over the Wolves in the seventh minute. The Fighting Tigers charged down the right side and let a high shot go that sailed inside the far post for the 1-0 lead. Cobleskill remained ahead in the first half. Keuka College had five shots in the half, but none were on goal as the Wolves trailed 1-0 at the half.

The Wolves started to increase the pressure in the second half. Keuka College earned a corner kick and took advantage of it. After the kick, the ball was lost in a scrum in front of goal. Jared Burns poked the ball back into the mix and Samba Doukhansy hit it come as the Wolves tied the game. The Wolves nearly took the lead minutes later as a ball came free from the Cobleskill keeper, but he was able to recover before Doukhansy could get to the ball. The Fighting Tigers had five shots in the last 10 minutes of regulation but would not convert as the game went to overtime tied 1-1.

Keuka College logged the only two shots of the first overtime period. The Wolves thought they have won the game in the 97th minute but it was called back by a late offsides call. The Green and Gold had a great opportunity in the second overtime, but a header by Jordan Miller went off of the crossbar and was cleared. After 110 minutes of play, the game would be decided in a penalty kick shootout.

In the shootout, Cobleskill went first and converted on each of their first five shooters. Keuka College would be there in each round to answer and did so as the shootout was tied 5-5 and go to extra shooters. In the sixth round, SUNY Cobleskill scored their attempt and the Fighting Tigers keeper made a kick save as they won the shootout 6-5.

KC Notes:

  • The game officially ended as a draw. Keuka College is 9-1-2 all-time against SUNY Cobleskill
  • It was the first ever meeting between the two schools in the postseason
  • The Wolves are now 5-2-2 in the Quarterfinal round of the North Eastern ATheltic Conference Tournament. Both ties came in the past two seasons with Keuka College falling in penalty kicks
  • Overall, Keuka is 1-2 in penalty kick shootouts in the NEAC Tournament
  • The goal was the 13th of the season for Samba Doukhansy. He finished his sophomore season with 20 goals in his career