Men’s Soccer Season Ends in Shootout

Men’s Soccer Season Ends in Shootout

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. – The Keuka College Men's Soccer team lost in a penalty kick shootout with Penn College 7-6 on Tuesday in the North Eastern Athletic Conference Quarterfinals. The Wolves and Wildcats were tied at 2-2 following both overtime periods.

Sean Pasono and Humberto Flores each scored in regulation for Keuka College (7-7-3, 6-3-1 NEAC). Ryan Mavretish made four saves in goal for the Wolves.

Penn College 2 at Keuka College 2 – Penn College wins shootout 7-6

Both teams had scoring attempts in the opening minutes of the North Eastern Athletic Conference Quarterfinal, but it was Penn College who capitalized on the attempt. The Wildcats had a free kick from the right side, 20 yards from goal. The cross was headed in for the 1-0 Penn College lead in the ninth minute. Overall in the half, Keuka College had a 9-5 advantage in shots. The Wolves continued to pressure the Wildcat back line with through balls. In the 29th minute, a Keuka College forward was tripped up by the Penn College goalkeeper, resulting in a penalty kick. Sean Pasono stepped to the spot and buried his second penalty kick of the season, tying the game at 1-1. That score would hold until halftime.

Keuka College took the lead early in the second half. Off of a Penn College foul near midfield, Sean Pasono sent a long ball into the left side of the Wildcat box. Samba Doukhansy won the initial header and sent it back to the middle of the field. Humberto Flores headed the ball in to give the Wolves a 2-1 lead in the 50th minute. The Wolves controlled the play in the half attempting to wind down the clock. In the 84th minute, Penn College once again converted on a free kick to level the game at 2-2 and force overtime.

The Wildcats threatened in the opening minute as a header went just wide of goal. The two teams would play out the first overtime period with the game still tied at 2-2. Keuka College and Penn College combined for only one shot in the second overtime period and the game would go to a penalty kick shootout.

The first two shooters would score in the shootout, but Keuka College would have their second shot saved and Penn scored. With the Wildcats on the advantage, Ryan Mavretish made a save in the third round to level the shootout at 2-2. Both teams would score in the next four rounds. To start off the eighth round, Penn College made a save on Keuka. The Wildcats then scored to win the shootout 7-6.

KC Notes:

  • The game between Keuka College and Penn College officially ended in a 2-2 draw. The Wolves are 2-0-3 all-time against the Wildcats
  • Tuesday was the third game in the five game series between Keuka College and Penn College to go to overtime
  • Keuka College is now 5-2 in the NEAC First Round/Quarterfinals
  • It was the longest shootout, eight rounds, in Keuka College history