Keuka College Defeats SUNY Poly 2-1

Photo by Ed Webber
Photo by Ed Webber

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. – The Keuka College Men's Soccer team defeated visiting SUNY Poly on Sunday by the score of 2-1 in a North Eastern Athletic Conference clash.

Rachid Blanken provided both goals in the win for Keuka (11-0-2, 8-0-1 NEAC). Preston Vick tallied his first career assist in the first half, setting up Blanken's goal on a punt. He also made four saves in the win over SUNY Poly (8-5-1, 5-3 NEAC). Rohel Duncan assisted on the second goal for Blanken.

Keuka College will not be back on the field until Saturday when they travel to Pennsylvania for their final road trip of the regular season. They will face Penn St.-Abington on Saturday and Bryn Athyn on Sunday.

The two teams opened the game on Sunday trying to establish possession. The opening half was generally played in the middle third of the field. Both teams were able to get attempts, but the keepers were up to the task.  One save included a diving effort from Preston Vick on a strike from distance. Keuka College got on the board just before the half. With the wind at has back, Vick let a punt go. It took one hop and entered the Wildcat box. Rachid Blanken settled under it and slid the right-footed shot into the right corner of the net for the 1-0 advantage in the 44th minute. Keuka carried that lead into the halftime break.

Keuka came out in the second half and started to press the Wildcats. Ben Schreiber took the ball down the right side of the field and into the box. His shot was saved but the ball bounced to Rohel Duncan. His shot was also saved. Duncan collected the rebound and slid the ball to the left, finding Rachid Blanken for his second goal of the game in the 57th minute. SUNY Poly held control of the ball for a bulk of the second half, but the Keuka College defense stood strong. The Wildcats got on the board in the final minute, scoring off a free kick from 19 yards out, but the Green and Gold would go onto the 2-1 victory.