Men's Soccer Ties Wilson 0-0

Photo by Ed Webber
Photo by Ed Webber

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. -- The Keuka College Men's Soccer Team played to a scoreless draw with Wilson College on Saturday at a rainy Jephson Community Athletic Complex.

Keuka now stands at 4-0-1 in the NEAC. The Green and Gold are 7-0-2 on the season. Wilson now holds a 2-2-1 record in conference play. Preston Vick made one save in net for Keuka for the shutout.

Keuka will return to action on Sunday as they host the Gallaudet University Bison. Kickoff for the NEAC match is set for 1pm from Keuka College.

Keuka College threatened against Wilson. In the opening minute, Edler de Castro sent a 40 yard ball behind the Phoenix defensive live to Ben Schreiber. The keeper challenged and Schreiber's shot slid just left of the net. The two teams would battle for possession for most of the first half. They would attack each other's nets, but never created a quality scoring opportunity until the 34th minute. Leandro Curran found Schreiber on a long ball. The senior's shot from the top of the box was on goal, but Wilson's keeper got just enough of it to deflect the shot wide.

Keuka controlled the play most of the second half. They hand multiple scoring opportunities, but they could not get the final strike . Keuka's best opportunity came in the 77th minute. Matt Hey played Schreiber forward, but the Phoenix keeper was up to the task and deflected it wide. On the ensuing corner, Mike Celestino's header went just over the crossbar, keeping the game scoreless. With seven minutes left to play, Keuka sent another ball in on a corner kick. The keeper got caught off his line, but a collection of Wilson defenders helped keep the ball out of the net. After a full 90 minutes, the game remained scoreless.

As the rain continued to fall, Keuka continued to pressure Wilson. Edler de Castro's header off of a corner went just high. Keuka had a pair of opportunities in the dying minutes of the first overtime period, but the game remained tied 0-0.

Keuka got the first opportunity of the second half. de Castro let a strike fire from distance that went just wide. A minute later, Rachid Blaken found Ben Schreiber's header was saved.  The final whistle was blown and the game ended in the 0-0 draw.