Big Comeback Lifts Keuka College Over Lancaster Bible

Big Comeback Lifts Keuka College Over Lancaster Bible

LANCASTER, PA — After trailing 2-0 at halftime, the Keuka College Men's Soccer team rallied to net a pair in the second half. Edler de Castro found the back of the net with seconds left in the first overtime period to lift Keuka (4-0-1, 1-0) over Lancaster Bible College (2-1-2, 1-1) on Saturday.

The goal was de Castro's second of the game. He scored the game-tying goal in the 86th minute to tie the game and force overtime. Ben Schreiber had the assists on the overtime winner. The Green and Gold got on the board in the 53rd minute on a goal by Leandro Curran.

Keuka will remain in Pennsylvania on Sunday when they play their second North Eastern Athletic Conference match of the season. Keuka College will face Penn St.-Berks on Sunday at 12pm.

Keuka College was able to control the ball early on in the first half. They had multiple attempts at goal in the opening 20 minutes of play, but Keuka was unable to get any of the attempts on frame. The Chargers were able to go against the run of play and steal the momentum when Josiah Groff converted a penalty kick in the 22nd minute to give Lancaster Bible the 1-0 lead. Lightning would strike twice for the Chargers as Groff converted a second penalty kick in the 42nd minute. Lancaster Bible College carried a 2-0 lead into halftime.

In search of momentum and in look of a comeback, Keuka College continued to fight in the second half. In the 53rd minute, Keuka was awarded a penalty kick. Leandro Curran converted from the spot to draw Keuka within one. The Chargers possessed the ball more as Keuka was onlyable to get one shot off over the next thirty minutes. However, in the 86th minute, Keuka earned a corner kick. Ben Schreiber took the kick and sent the ball into the box. The ball would find the foot of Edler de Castro who finished the shot to tie the game at 2-2 and force overtime.

Both teams were able to get a shot off in the first overtime period and both keepers were required to make a save. With less than a minute left in the first period, the Wolfpack once again earned a corner kick. Schreiber again sent the ball into the box. The kick was to the head of Edler de Castro who headed the ball home for the goal and 3-2 conference victory.