KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Lacrosse team lost to SUNY Poly 13-12 on Wednesday in the North Eastern Athletic Conference Semi-Finals at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex.
#3 SUNY Poly 13 at #2 Keuka College 12 – NEAC Semi-Finals
The Wolves opened the scoring as Marco Carney cleared the ball and found defenseman Ryan Bates in transition. The sophomore long stick beat the keeper for his first career goal and the 1-0 lead. It would prove, however, to be the only lead of the game for Keuka College. SUNY Poly responded minutes later tying the game. The Wildcats then took a 2-1 lead, scoring 41 seconds after their first goal. The Wolves tied the game back at 2-2, but SUNY Poly would carry a 3-2 lead into the second quarter.
SUNY Poly added to their lead as the Wildcats scored three of the first four goals in the second quarter, surrounding a Mark Shattuck tally by the Wolves. Keuka College got a pair of goals midway through the second by Gallina and Shattuck to make it 6-5 Wildcats, but SUNY Poly closed with a pair in the final three minutes as they led 8-5 at the half.
Connor Cupp opened the scoring for Keuka in the third, but the Wildcats responded with two goals to lead 10-6. Chris Bellanca scored for Keuka with 11:16 left in the third to make it 10-7. That sparked a 5-1 run for Keuka College, culminating in a Connor Cupp goal to tie the game at 11-11 going into the final quarter.
SUNY Poly scored the first two goals of the fourth to take a 13-11 lead. That lead would remain until the final minute. With one minute let, the Wildcats had the ball but their shot went wide, giving Keuka College the ball. Seth Spurgeon got the ball near midfield and took it himself, going through the Wildcats defense and scoring to make it 13-12 with 41 seconds left to play. Keuka College won the ensuing faceoff and went on the man-up follow a SUNY Poly push. However, the Wolves had their attempts blocked before getting to the cage in the final seconds. Keuka College let one shot rip as the clock expired but it went wide as SUNY Poly defeated Keuka College 13-12.
- Keuka College is now 12-2 all-time against SUNY Poly
- It was the first time that the two teams met in the NEAC Tournament
- Keuka College's season ends in the NEAC Semi-Finals for the third straight season. Overall the Wolves are 6-4 in the penultimate game of the conference tournament
- The Wolves finished the season with 183 goals, fifth most in program history
- Nikoli Biljanoski made 12 saves for the Wolves. He finished his season with 167 on the year, ranking third in the record books
- North Eastern Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year Connor Cupp broke a tie and finished the year with the fifth most points in a season in program history, finishing with 66
- Senior Cody Nitzke led the Wolves with six groundballs and six caused turnovers in his final game