BUFFALO, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Lacrosse team opened North Eastern Athletic Conference play with a 16-8 victory at Medaille College on Wednesday.
Chris Bellanca and Connor Cupp led Keuka College (4-3, 1-0 NEAC) with four goals apiece. Cupp added four assists for an eight-point game while Bellanca posted a seven-point game with three assists. Mark Shattuck added three goals and three assists in the win.
Keuka College 16 at Medaille College 8
The Green and Gold took the early lead as the Wolves converted a Seth Spurgeon faceoff win into a goal by Mark Shattuck 15 seconds into the game. The Wolves built a 5-1 first quarter lead over the Mavericks.
Once again, Keuka scored early in the quarter as Chris Bellanca scored 52 seconds into the second for the 6-1 lead. Medaille responded with a pair of goals to cut the lead to 6-3. The Green and Gold had goals by Brandon Clark, Marco Carney, and two by Connor Cupp as the Wolves led 10-3 at the half.
Keuka College continued their run in the third quarter. The Wolves scored the first five goals of the second half to build a 15-3 lead. The Mavericks snapped the nine-goal run that spanned nearly 22 minutes with a pair of goals to close the quarter, but Keuka carried a 15-5 lead into the fourth.
Medaille College controlled the play in the fourth, outshooting Keuka 11-2. Colin Mix made four saves in the quarter for the Wolves. Medaille outscored Keuka 3-1 in the frame, but the Wolves won the game 16-8.
- Keuka College won their 11th straight over Medaille College. The Wolves are 23-2 all-time against the Mavericks
- Keuka College is undefeated when played at Medaille College
- The Wolves were efficient in collecting loose balls as Keuka held a 50-38 advantage in groundballs
- Nikoli Biljanoski played the first three quarters on Wednesday and made nine saves in recording the win
- Brandon Smith and Stephen Spring each recorded their first career assist on Wednesday
- The first quarter assists by Stephen Spring on an Ethan Marchitell was the first collegiate point for Spring
Up Next for Keuka College: The Green and Gold return to the Jephson Community Athletic Complex on Saturday, April 6 as they host SUNY Cobleskill. Opening faceoff between Keuka College and the Fighting Tigers is set for 1pm.