Late Goal by Springer Gives Keuka College 9-8 Win

Photo by Ed Webber
Photo by Ed Webber

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. – Dustin Springer scored with 5.9 seconds left in the game to give the Keuka College Men's Lacrosse team a 9-8 victory over Utica College on Wednesday at the Jephson Community Athletic Complex.

Keuka College (3-1) will be on the road this weekend as they face Oswego State on Saturday at 1pm.

Matt Beebe led Keuka with six points on the afternoon. He had a pair of goals and four assists. Tyler Skowronski added a goal and two assists for Keuka. Andrew Burns had a hat trick, setting a new career high. Zach Dempsey and Sam Cooper also added goals. Kyle Andrake got the win in goal for Keuka in his first collegiate start. The freshman made seven saves.

The Green and Gold got out to a fast start against the Pioneers. Zach Dempsey and Andrew Burns both scored and Keuka led 2-0 just over five minutes into the game. The Pioneers got one back, but on the ensuing faceoff, Jake Altman got the win and raced down the field. He found Matt Beebe for the goal just seven seconds after Utica scored. Utica once again had an answer to make it 4-2. With 31 seconds left in the first quarter, Beebe found Tyler Skowronski for the goal to give Keuka a 5-2 lead after the first.

Keuka College was able to outshoot Utica in the second quarter, but it was the Pioneers who found the back of the net. They scored a pair of goals to make it a 5-4 game at halftime.

The Pioneers got the first goal of the second half to tie the game at 5-5. Minutes later, Andrew Burns gave Keuka the lead right back. Sam Cooper found the back of the net for the Green and Gold on the man up for a 7-5 lead halfway through the third. Utica made it a one-goal game, 7-6, going into the final quarter.

Both teams were held scoreless for the opening 10 minutes of the fourth quarter. Cody Nitzke caused a turnover, picked up the ground ball, and raced down the field. He found Matt Beebe for the goal to make it 8-6 Keuka. The Pioneers did not go away. They scored two goals, tying the game with 1:45 left to play. Utica won the faceoff and controlled possession. With 33 seconds left, Peter DiLaura forced a turnover to give Keuka the ball. Skowronski took the ball behind the net and found Springer out front for the quick shot and goal with 5.9 seconds left to play to give Keuka the 9-8 victory.