KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Men's Basketball team scored 52 of their 86 points in the second half as the Wolves overcame a 12-point deficit to defeat Hilbert College 86-84 in their home-opener at the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center on Tuesday.
Leading the way for Keuka College (3-1) was senior Ryder Mansfield. Mansfield set new career-highs with 30 points and 16 rebounds. Trevor Powell finished with 19 points and nine rebounds while sophomore James Barnes added 16 points and nine rebounds for the Wolves.
Keuka College 86 vs. Hilbert College 84
The Wolves climbed out to an early lead, but the Hawks came right back thanks to the deep ball. Hilbert went 7-12 from three in the first half. Keuka College struggled to get their offense going with 12 turnovers in the frame. The Wolves did shoot 52% from the floor, were 0-2 from deep. Hilbert College carried a 46-34 lead into the locker rooms at halftime.
Hilbert made an early bucket, but the Wolves started to work the ball in the paint. The Wolves began to chip away at the Hawk lead. Ryder Mansfield had six of eight points in an 8-0 run by Keuka to tie the game at 55-55. The Wolves would eventually take the lead at 12:15 of the second half following a steal and fast break layup by David Oliveras. The game would go back and forth down the stretch. The Wolves took their largest lead of the game, seven points, following a Trevor Powell layup with 3:53 left to play. The Hawks would not go away. They rallied and had a chance to tie the game with 25 seconds left but they missed their second free throw as Keuka maintained a one-point lead, 85-84. The Wolves went one of two from the line as well, giving Hilbert the ball down two with 20 seconds left. They were fouled with six seconds remaining but missed both free throws and Keuka grabbed the rebound. Keuka missed the front end of a one and one, but Hilbert missed a three as time expired as the Wolves hung on for the 86-84 victory.
- The win was the 350th win for the Keuka College Men's Basketball program
- Keuka College earned their first win over Hilbert since the 2005-06 season, snapping a four-game Hawks winning streak. Overall, Keuka College is now 9-13 all-time against Hilbert
- The Wolves won their home opener for the second straight season, both two-point victories
- It was the fourth double-double for Ryder Mansfield. He also surpassed 200 career points in just his 16th game for the Wolves
- Mansfield became the first player since Trevor Healey in January 2013 to score 30 points in a game
- Trevor Powell went 3-4 from the free throw line. The senior now has 196 free throws made in his career, passing Corey Edwards for tenth all-time
- Keuka College controlled the paint against the Hawks. The Wolves were +13 in rebounding and held a 54-30 advantage in points in the paint.
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves return to action next week following the Thanksgiving holiday. The first game back for Keuka College will be on the road on Tuesday, November 28 as the Wolves travel to Elmira College. Keuka College defeated the Soaring Eagles 70-68 in Keuka's home-opener last season.