Men’s Basketball Ends Season with a Victory

Trevor Powell (20) recorded a double-double on Saturday with 16 points and 11 rebounds -- Photo by Abdul Alhumayni
Trevor Powell (20) recorded a double-double on Saturday with 16 points and 11 rebounds -- Photo by Abdul Alhumayni

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. – The Keuka College Men's Basketball team ended with 2016-17 season with a come-from-behind 86-82 victory over the College of St. Elizabeth.

The Wolves finished the season with a 5-13 record within the North Eastern Athletic Conference, 5-18 overall.

The Wolves got production up and down the lineup with five players scoring in double-figures and a pair of players grabbing double-digit rebounds. The scoring was led by junior Cliff Stevens with 17 points. Trevor Powell recorded the lone double-double for the Wolves with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Cameron Winston scored 15 points to close a strong freshman season. Guards Greg Tyler and Sam Brown added 14 and 10 points in the win. Junior Dylan Doupe tied for the team lead with 11 rebounds.

Keuka College scored a season-best 86 points with a season-best 18 assists. Both Cameron Winston and Greg Tyler led the Green and Gold with five assists each.

Neither Keuka College nor St. Elizabeth would be able to take control of the game in the first half. A layup by Trevor Powell gave Keuka a 21-16 lead with 10:25 left in the half. The five-point margin would be the largest of the frame for the Wolves. In the closing minutes of the half, St. Elizabeth took a five-point lead of their own, 35-30, but the Wolves had an answer. Cameron Winston turned an Eagles turnover into two points. With under a minute left, Powell made a layup and Cameron Winston drained a free throw with seven seconds remaining as Keuka College and St. Elizabeth were tied at the break.

Keuka College took the lead early in the second. Three-pointers by Cameron Winston and Cliff Stevens sandwiched a Dylan Doupe free throw as the Wolves scored seven unanswered to take a 44-38 lead two minutes in. The Eagles would have a run of their own. They retook the lead and pushed the margin out to eight points, 67-59, following a three with 10:01 left in the game. On the next possession, Matthew Purcell grabbed an offensive rebound and drained a three of his own to cut into the lead. The Wolves began to erase the deficit. A three by Brown narrowed it to four, 73-69. Powell knocked down a three to make it 74-72. He later completed the comeback with 4:38 left to play with a layup, tying the game at 76-76. Following an offensive foul by the Eagles, Cliff Stevens got open for a layup with Sam Brown working for the assist to give the Wolves a 78-76 lead. The margin would be narrowed to one, but Keuka College would not relinquish the lead. Leading by three with 12 seconds left, Greg Tyler drained a free throw to secure the 86-82 victory for Keuka College.