Wolves Lose to Wells in Overtime

Cameron Winston (2) led all scorers on Wednesday with 21 points
Cameron Winston (2) led all scorers on Wednesday with 21 points

AURORA, N.Y. – The Keuka College Men's Basketball team lost to Wells College 79-76 in overtime on Wednesday night in a North Eastern Athletic Conference matchup.

The Wolves (3-14, 3-9 NEAC) return to the JMW Recreation and Athletics Center this weekend for a pair of games against Morrisville State and Cazenovia.

Cameron Winston finished with a game-high 21 points for the Wolves. Trevor Powell added 16 points and four blocks. Rounding out the double-digit scorers was Greg Tyler with 10 points. Junior Cliff Stevens led the Wolves on the boards, collecting 10 rebounds in the loss.

In a closely played first half, Keuka College had the lead early over Wells College. The lead would bounce back to Wells on back-to-back threes as the Express led 13-8 six minutes into the game. A 9-0 run by the Wolves gave them a 17-13 lead halfway through the first. The Express responded and the game remained within a possession for most of the first. Wells College got the final basket of the first half as they would lead 34-32 going into the halftime break.

Wells College pushed their lead out to nine points, 47-38, four minutes into the second half, but the Wolves would not go away. After going 0-6 from deep in the first half, Trevor Powell, Cameron Winston, and Matt Estes all knocked down three-pointers as Keuka College quickly tied the game back up at 47-47. The Wolves were able to tie the game in the second half, but never take the lead. Trailing by five with four minutes left, Cameron Winston spun in the lane and laid the ball in as Keuka attempted a final comeback. A power move by Winston a minute later made it 66-65 Wells with 2:27 to play. After an Express basket, Winston knocked down a corner three to tie the game at 68-68. Wells once again regained the lead. With 33 seconds left to play, Trevor Powell grabbed an offensive rebound and laid the ball in to tie the game at 70-70. Wells missed their final attempt and the game went to overtime.

In the extra frame, Keuka College made the first two baskets to lead 74-70, but a three by Wells halfway through overtime shifted the momentum back to the Express. Wells also increased their defense as Keuka turned the ball over on their next three possessions. Wells was only able to generate two points off those turnovers, however, as they led 75-74 going into the final minute. The Wolves were able to break the press as a long pass by Dylan Doupe found Winston behind the defense. Keuka took a 76-75 lead with 51 seconds remaining. On their next trip, Wells regained the lead with a basket and was fouled. The free throw was missed, but Wells grabbed the loose ball and was fouled again. The Express made both shots from the line as they would defeat Keuka College 79-76 on Wednesday.