KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Baseball team hit a pair of home runs as the Wolves defeated SUNY Poly 12-3 in a North Eastern Athletic Conference game at Kuhl Field on Wednesday.
Keuka College 12 vs. SUNY Poly 3
Keuka College inched their lead on Wednesday, opening the scoring in the second inning with a bases loaded walk. An inning later, Anthony Brown hit an RBI single to the Wolves, giving Keuka a 2-0 lead.
The Wolves doubled the lead in the fourth. Dave Verrett led the inning off with a single. He then moved to second on a bunt and third on a wild pitch. Vertoske scored Verrett on a sacrifice fly to make it 3-0. Tyler Freedman then stepped to the plate and blasted his first home run of the season to push the lead to 4-0.
SUNY Poly answered with three runs in the sixth to cut the lead in half, 6-3. But Keuka College would have a response of their own in the bottom of the inning. After a leadoff walk, Brooks Vertoske went deep for the Wolves to make it 8-3. Keuka College then scored two on a double by Tyler Broderick and a two-run double by Dave Verrett. Keuka College continued onto the 12-3 victory.
- The Wolves swept the three-game NEAC series with SUNY Poly. Overall, Keuka has defeated the Wildcats in six straight games, improving their all-time record to 12-15
- Keuka College tied the program record for wins in a season with 22
- It was just the 14th time in program history that Keuka College has hit two home runs in the game
- Dan Bamann had two hits for the Wolves on Wednesday. The senior now has 127 for his career, tying Billy McDermott for third on the career hits list
- Brooks Vertoske moves to fourth in the single-season RBI list for Keuka College. The junior has driven in 34 runs this season
- Vertoske also becomes just the eighth player to hit five home runs in a season. He currently sits in a tie for fourth on the single-season list
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves will conclude their regular season with a three-game North Eastern Athletic Conference series against Cazenovia College. It will begin tomorrow as the Wolves host the Wildcats in a single, nine-inning, game from Kuhl Field at 4pm. Keuka and Cazenovia will then conclude the series on Sunday with a noon doubleheader at Keuka College.