KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Baseball team swept a non-conference doubleheader against D'Youville College at Kuhl Field on Tuesday afternoon.
Keuka College (13-13) won the opener 10-7. The Green and Gold then completed the sweep, winning the nightcap 24-8.
Keuka College 10 vs. D'Youville College 7 – Game One
The Wolves jumped out to a quick lead over the Spartans. Three straight singles loaded the bases for the Wolves. Then with two outs, Anthony Brown singled through the left side to plate a run. Anthony Mashewske then cleared the bases with a triple to right center. Mashewske scored on an RBI double by Dave Verrett as the Wolves took a 5-0 lead.
D'Youville College quickly answered with four runs in the top of the second to cut the Keuka College lead to one run. Keuka College got all four runs back in the bottom of the third.
Again with two outs, Tyler Freedman singled to score a run. Dan Bamann followed him with a two-run triple to the centerfield wall to make it 8-4. Tyler Broderick followed a walk with an RBI single as the Wolves reestablished their five-run lead, 9-4.
The Spartans got three back in the fifth and threatened in the sixth, but Joe DiBenedetto took the mound and escaped the inning. After the Wolves added an insurance run, DiBenedetto shut the door with a 1-2-3 seventh inning to earn the save as Keuka earned 10-7 victory.
Lead Wolves: Keuka College totaled 16 hits in the opener. Every starter recorded at least one hit for Keuka. A pair of Tylers, Freedman and Krowiak, led the way as each finished with three hits in the game.
Keuka College 24 vs. D'Youville College 8 – Game Two
The Spartans opened the game with four runs on two hits, but were aided by four walks and a hit batter in the frame. Keuka College responded in the bottom of the first to tie the game. Brooks Vertoske led the inning off with a triple for the Wolves and later scored on single by Tyler Krowiak. With two outs and the bases loaded, Anthony Mashewske hit a three-run double to clear the bases and tie the game at 4-4.
The Green and Gold posted a crooked number in the third inning as Keuka scored 13 runs on eight hits to take control of the game. Big hits in the inning included a bases-clearing triple by Pat Flaherty, an RBI double by Nick Boyle, and two-run singles by Dan Bamann and Pat Flaherty. A two-run double by Brooks Vertoske capped the inning as the Wolves led 17-4.
Zach Braster did the rest for the Wolves. After entering in the first inning to help get out of a jam, Braster pitched the remaining 6.2 innings, a career-high, for the Wolves as Keuka College would go on to defeat D'Youville College 24-8.
- Keuka College improves to 26-10 all-time against D'Youville College
- The Wolves are 14-2 against the Spartans at Kuhl Field
- Keuka College Head Coach Rick Ferchen won his 100th game in a Keuka uniform on Tuesday
- Dylan Beaulac earned the win in game one, throwing 2.2 innings of relief. The freshman struck out a pair to earn the first win of his career
- Game one was the 100th career game for Tyler Krowiak
- The Wolves had now scored 216 runs this season, passing the 2013 team for fifth in program history
- Keuka hit a pair of doubles in game one and four more in game two. The Wolves are up to 67 on the season, passing the 2014 team for the most doubles ever hit by a team in program history. Keuka earlier set the school record in triples by a team as well
- Dan Bamann passed Gavin Corbin for third on the career RBI list at Keuka College with 73
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves return to North Eastern Athletic Conference play this weekend as Keuka College hosts SUNY Poly at Kuhl Field. The Wolves and the Wildcats will play their single game on Friday afternoon and then complete the three-game series with a doubleheader on Saturday.