KEUKA PARK, N.Y. — The Keuka College Baseball team had a pair of impressive offensive performances in a doubleheader sweep over Clarks Summit University at Wednesday at Kuhl Field.
Keuka College (6-11) topped the Defenders 23-1 in game one. The Wolves then plated 27 runs in a 27-8 victory.
Keuka College 23 vs. Clarks Summit University 1 – Game One
The Wolves struck first in the second inning as Tyler Broderick singled to right field and moved to second on an error by the right fielder. He was singled home by Tyler Krowiak for the 1-0 lead. That sparked an eight-run inning as the Wolves took early control of the game. Dave Verrett, Anthony Mashewske, Anthony Brown, and Brooks Vertoske all followed with RBI hits for the Wolves. On a groundout to third, Brown scored from third and Vertoske scored from second as Keuka took a 7-0 lead. After starting the rally Tyler Broderick concluded it with a run-scoring double to center, making it 8-0.
The Green and Gold added to their lead with an RBI single by Anthony Brown. He later scored on a wild pitch to push the lead to 10-0.
Keuka College's offense continued to click. Big hits in the later innings included an RBI double by Pat Flaherty, a two-run double by Nick Brown, and a two-run single by Dylan Richards as the Wolves continued onto the 23-1 victory.
Lead Wolf: Freshman leadoff hitter Anthony Brown led the way for the Green and Gold. Brown had three hits and drove in three runs. The freshman also scored four time in game one.
Keuka College 27 vs. Clarks Summit University 8 – Game Two
Brooks Vertoske started the game with a bang as he led off the bottom of the first with a triple to left centerfield. Keuka College had their first seven batters reach base safely as the Wolves built the lead. Vertoske came back up to bat in the first inning and hit his second triple of the inning. After the first, Keuka College led 10-0.
Dan Bamann led off the third inning with his second double of the game. Bamann scored on a single by Tyler Krowiak and Krowiak was plated on a double by Anthony Brown. The Green and Gold added to their lead and held a 15-0 advantage after three innings.
Clarks Summit scored two in the fourth and the fifth to break the shutout. The Wolves plated five in the fifth with Caleb Ladd and James Griffin each hitting two-run doubles in the inning. The Wolves would continue on the 27-8 victory.
Lead Wolves: Keuka College had 12 different players record at least two hits in the win. The Green and Gold totaled 27 hits in the game, including 11 extra-base hits. The 27 hits and runs by Keuka were the second-most in a game in program history.
- Keuka College remains a perfect 10-0 against Clarks Summit University
- Keuka College improves their record in the home opener to 10-11. Despite a losing record, the Wolves have won their last four home openers
- In game one, Nick Kocjan and Dylan Richards each had their first collegiate hit
- Dave Verrett hit two doubles in game one of the doubleheader
- In game two, Dan Bamann had a pair of doubles to pace a school-record nine doubles by the Keuka College offense
- Bamann passed Matt Schaffer and moved into second the Keuka College career doubles list with 27
- Brooks Vertoske became the 10th player in program history to hit two triples in the game
- The Keuka College pitching staff struck out 14 batters in game two, a new school record. Leading the way for the Wolves was K.C. Howe and Evan Shurtleff who each struck out four in their two innings of work. Adam Pankowski struck out the side in his one inning on the mound
Up Next for Keuka College: The Wolves return to North Eastern Athletic Conference play this weekend with a three-game series against Penn College at Kuhl Field. Keuka College will face the Wildcats in a doubleheader on Saturday and then host a single, nine-inning game on Sunday.