Keuka College (11-12, 5-3 NEAC) won the opener against Cazenovia 11-6. The Green and Gold then beat the Wildcats 13-4 in game two for the North Eastern Athletic Conference sweep.
Keuka College 11 vs. Cazenovia College 6
Keuka College got off to a fast start as John Rizzo, Dakota Skinner, and Dan Bamann hit three straight singles to start the game. The inning would be capped by an RBI single by Alec Bowie to give the Wolves a 4-0 lead after one inning.
The teams traded two runs in the third as the Wolves answered at Wildcat pair with two sacrifice flies in the bottom of the inning. Cazenovia would tie the game at 6-6 in the top of the fourth, but the Wolves had an answer in the bottom of the inning.
Keuka scored a run on a passed ball and then had RBI singles by Jake Redding and Dakota Skinner. The Green and Gold added a pair of insurance runs in the sixth as they continued onto the 11-6 victory.
Keuka College 13 vs. Cazenovia College 4
Both the Wildcats and the Wolves scored in the first inning. The Wolves scored three in the third to take the lead. Keuka got a run in on a wild pitch, then with the bases loaded, Sean Sheets hit a ground-rule double to left field to score two and give the Wolves a 4-1 lead.
The lead grew two innings later. Sheets hit an RBI triple for the Wolves. That was followed by an RBI single by John Rizzo and a Dan Bamann RBI double. The lead was more than enough for starting pitcher Daniel Steve.
The freshman pitcher went the distance for the Wolves. Steve became just the seventh pitcher in program history to pitch nine innings or more in a game. Steve had seven strikeouts, including the last two batters, as the Wolves closed out the sweep with a 13-4 victory.
Lead Wolf: It was the first career win and complete game for Steve. His seven strikeouts set a new career-high for the freshman.
- The Wolves improve to 21-36 all-time against Cazenovia College
- Keuka College has won the last 5 games against the Wildcats
- With the win in game one, Keuka College surpassed 100 NEAC victories in program history
- Ryan Caroway got the win in game one for the Wolves. He tied Kyle Michaud '16 for second on the career wins list with 10. Caroway also moved into second on the career innings list and passed Jeremy Pyszczynski '14 for the most starts on the mound in Keuka College history
- John Rizzo worked four walks in the game. He passed Craig Smithers '06 for the most walks in a career at Keuka College
- Tyler Freedman was a perfect 3-3 at the plate for the Wolves in game two
- The triple by Sean Sheets was the first of his career. Sheets also set a new career-high with three runs batted in in game two
Up Next for Keuka College: The home stand continues for Keuka College on Wednesday as the Wolves host Wells College at Kuhl Field at 1pm. The Wolves swept the doubleheader against the Express last season in the first ever meeting between the two schools.